It's very hard to be objective about life in another country, so I googled "comparing Italy and the UK" which led me to a site called Ifitweremyhome.com. This site allows you to compare countries from the list by selecting two of them. I liked it so much I then did it in class.
The results were interesting if not very decisive. Earn more money in the UK but spend less on healthcare and live longer in Italy. Be less likely to be unemployed or get HIV in the UK but be 25% more likely to be murdered. My students were divided on which country was better but most opted for staying in Italy and living longer. Admittedly they are only teenagers so they haven't yet contemplated long term unemployment.
Since there was no mention of things like food, weather and education I've decided to write my own list. Perhaps you can help me add to it in the comments?
*Not all reasons are created equal*
Reasons to move to the UK
- earn higher wages
- a more dynamic job market and economy
- a more modern education system
- be nearer my family and friends
- cool summers with no need for mosquito nets
- walking in the English countryside with its footpaths and bridalways.
- driving on the left, and less scary motorways
- cheddar cheese, peanut butter, oat cakes, yorkshire puddings, gravy, proper tea, fish and chips
- cheaper medecines and beauty products
- not being told I'm so pale/I've put on weight/lost weight all the time
- cleaner air (at least with respect to Milan)
- seeing birds and wildlife in towns and villages.
- easier and cheaper not to attempt to move house internationally
- food is fresher and tastier.
- less rain
- be nearer A.'s family and our friends
- being able to choose or change your doctor easily, and getting more attention when you do go (in my experience).
- The Alps, the lakes, the riviera... all within a couple of hours drive.
- No longer be able to use the 'crazy foreigner' excuse
- Public transport costs less here
- Have to find myself a new career if I go back to England.
- Hairdressers are more talented at cutting curls in Italy
- Houses cost less. Rents cost less.
- Ugh... London.