Thursday, 19 June 2014

The World Cup and the Wedding

Since you have probably noticed that the world cup is on TV, nobody is going to be surprised to hear that on Saturday A and I found ourselves duty bound to be enemies for two hours. The Italy-England match was, surprise surprise, won by Italy 2-1. The second half had me groaning and clutching my forehead on the sofa so much A asked me if I had a temperature and if I was feeling OK. The final half hour was particularly painful, but the morning after it was worse. Having stayed up til 2am to watch the match I had gone to bed immediately in the hope of not missing too much beauty sleep and escaping the gloating post match analysis and hollow commiserations, but alas A and his father were in fine form all through breakfast analysing just how good Italy's chances are of winning the world cup, again, this year. I had to slink off for a strategic shower after an hour of it.

Tonight England play Uruguay, who also need to win to stay in the World Cup. I'm not sure I can bear to watch it.

Ugh. Some nations don't even know they are born.  And now Spain are out they're getting even worse. Hah! Spain and their one measly world cup! says A.

I fear the world cup fever is about to get worse though. You see we didn't check very thoroughly to see when Italy and England are playing, and it's looking increasingly likely that England, or far more likely Italy will be playing on our wedding day. Sigh. I must resign myself to more irritating football comments, and possibly even football watching even on my wedding night. Is nothing sacred?!

Admittedly I realise that this will put A in an even more impossible situation than it does me. What poor man should have to choose between his wedding night and supporting his team at the World Cup? I'm sure he knows what's best for him. Ahem. (I know what you're thinking A, give her two glasses of wine and she'll be asleep in no time).

And while I'm on the subject of weddings I have heard a lot of funny things recently from friends and family with regard to Italian and English traditions, which occasionally make me want to pull at my hair  (panicked emails - OMG have you told everyone not to wear hats?!!!) but mainly laugh.

So I'd like to state for the record, not that any of my family read this, (if they do I shall soon find out in the comments) that

  • Notwithstanding what you may have read on the internet, I will not be meeting and greeting  my lovely guests at the ceremony an hour before, even if you are very lovely and I am very happy that you are coming.
  • Dad - you do not need to give your speech in Italian!*
  • You do not have to wear black (?!), in fact avoid black.
  • English people are very happy drinking wine. Honestly. They do not need to drink beer at all times and on all occasions.
  • You do not need to wear a morning suit because I am English.
  • Likewise nobody is going to throw you out if  you wish to wear a hat.
  • Hats are not worn because all English women copy the Queen.
  • Hats are not worn by English women because they want to copy Pippa Middleton either.
  • I don't hate Camilla or Prince Charles. 
  • I don't think the Duke of Edinburgh ordered Diana's assassination by car crash.

There is more than one thing wrong with this cake topper.



*My Dad is the master of the understated wind up, (currently known as 'trolling' I believe), so I have no idea how serious he is on this one.

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hope you have a very happy wedding day and I'm sure the World Cup won't interfere!

Laruchka said...

Thankyou very much! Now that costa rica have beaten italy and england are out it looks like we are going to a pretty football free wedding and honeymoon! X

Kim said...

Still longing the blog!
Hope you both have a wonderful day!

Kim said...

Whoops, meant to say loving the blog!

Anonymous said...

Love the blog x