Monday, 2 December 2013

One Wet Wedding


On the way to the airport...

Me: I'm going for a wedding
Taxi driver: In November? What will the weather be like?
Me: It's supposed to rain.
Taxi driver: I really hope it's inside.
Me: Oh it'll be inside.
Taxi driver: I hope so.
Me: Don't worry, I'm sure it will be inside. Nobody plans an open air wedding in November!
Taxi driver (still dubious): Well, I certainly hope so for your sake!

What about "sposa bagnata, sposa fortunata" and all that?!

I didn't continue trying to reassure the kind concerned man, that there was no way the wedding was going to be held outdoors. I suppose he's never been to a winter wedding or indeed any English wedding. You'd be mad to hold it completely in the open air... In Italy the vast majority of weddings are held in May, June, July and September since the weather is somewhat more predictable here. You also get two weeks off by law for your honeymoon, which makes this time of year popular if the newlyweds wish to travel anywhere in the northern hemisphere!

I don't have strong preferences myself but this Autumn wedding was beautiful, romantic and almost... cosy! If the bride had to wait half an hour to enter the church because it was raining so hard, well nobody minded. After all we were the ones waiting in the dry!

Granddaughter

rose bokeh

The Second Dance

No comments: