Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Summer Camp Poem.

Dear Me,

Laruchka has not been posting recently because she has been too busy with Summer Camp. The children have used up most of her energy and the heat and humidity have taken the rest.

Please excuse her from sport for the next few days, unless it is the televised variety featuring the England football team.

Me.



It's my second week of afternoons at Summer camp, and I have to say, it's really not as bad as I thought it would be. The children are actually pretty nice kids and making crafts is right up my street. But OH MY GOD it is so much more tiring than I expected. 

Aside from sports (one dead right arm from turning the skipping rope for and hour and thank God I am better at them at piggy-in-the-middle) which in 32c heat is predictably hard, hot and sticky work.  Craft is an hour of jungle-like cacophony as kids whine my name continuously.I rush from kid to kid to help them make their bumble bee, or show them how to mix their salt dough but I don't seem to have enough arms. One child today was whining my name at the top of her voice and when I turned around she stopped. She didn't actually want or need my help, it's just that's what everybody else was doing. And that's just the ten year olds!

Break time seemed promisingly named, but the amount of stupid, irritating and down right dangerous ideas the kids come up with is just phenomenal. I wish I had their imagination.

***

One Hula Hoop in a tree,
Wobbling teacher on the table.
Earth and water in a Frisbee.
Half of a dead bee,
No that's not a chrysalis.
Climbing up the tree.
Throwing clods at passing traffic,
Drawing on school property.
Frisbee in the classroom,
Skipping ropes around the neck,
Mosquito repellent fight
Can I get it in your eyes?
Flood the school yard,
Make a splat,
Charge the play house with a table,
I think that's enough of that.

***

I asked one of the helpers if the morning shift or afternoon shift was easier. She said definitely the morning. 

I bloody knew it!

No comments: