Sunday, 30 October 2011

Up to my ears in Halloween

A florist's display in Piemonte.

I will not be going to a Halloween party this year and I am quite happy about that. The past week has been total immersion in all things Halloween. (Speaking of immersion, one of my favourite places if  not THE favourite place in the world, Vernazza was badly flooded this week in a turn of events that left nine dead in Liguria but is too big a subject for me to tackle).

All the children's classes must celebrate the main festivals in the English speaking world and I didn't want to discriminate by age so this week all my classes were Halloween themed. It also happened to save on preparation time. Drop me a line if you want any materials to use in the classroom. I think I have an activity now for every age and every level. Even teens that groan "oh no not another Halloween lesson" (my thoughts exactly I might add!) and adult conversation classes. I have watched Meg and Mog and Owl about fifteen times this week.

The main problem with celebrating Halloween it seems, is that it is a very new thing in Italy. It's been imported artificially, (well, I assume its not all the american tourists that brought it to Italy) and some people resent that. I can understand that. So unless you are 5 and your parents are relaxed about celebrating festivals that are associated with the occult you can probably expect not to need fancy dress.

Not to worry. There are heaps of other festivals to celebrate in the autumn and nearly all of them food related. My favourite are the chestnut festivals. Roasted or candied they are yummy yummy.

Never had a candied chestnut, (am I the only person who thinks of the Redwall series when hearing the words candied chestnuts?)? Here's a little pic to let you know what you are missing. They are sweeter THAN THE SUN.

Chestnuts in the cafe window (sorry about the glare).
 Mmmmmmmm........ Sugar.............


Happy Halloween!

P.s. Next year I am so going to celebrate Diwali instead.

No comments: