Saturday, 13 November 2010

Madonna with Cat


This week I have been reading The Story of Art and I particularly liked this picture. It made me want to paint a golden madonna of my own with awkward perspective.

The inspiration was found in a picture of A's sister with (deceased) cat Micky.

The cat was so hard to draw I had to grid it up to get it right. I thought the sheer quantity of cat paintings by amateur artists meant cats are easy to paint. I was wrong!


I chose my colours.

I painted in my tones to check the balance (but forgot the floor).

I wanted gold...

...and light.

But the cat's eyes were too scary.

That's better!

Disclaimer: This blogpost has nothing to do with Italy other than the fact that the painting that inspired me was by an Simone Martini and Lippo Memmi and you can find it in the Uffizi in Florence.

No comments: